Just read a great short story by Kate Chopin called "Desiree's Baby". Hard-hitting and brilliant. A must read.
Having completed one detective fiction by Georgette Heyer, I have ordered three more of her books. "Footsteps in the Dark" was enjoyable on the whole. Good old dry British humour. Average mystery. Fantastic atmosphere. I read excerpts from a few other detective stories of Heyer the other day. And came to the conclusion that most of her stories are about super-annoying irritants who continually step on other people's toes until somebody bumps them off :)
"Middlesex" was outstanding. Which prompted me to make a beeline for all the works of Jeffrey Euginedes. I found "The Virgin Suicides" hugely depressing and thoroughly heartless. I know this feeling very well. When the world watches a troubled family like a voyeur but does nothing to help them. "The Marriage Plot" is outright boring. The beginning of the novel is somewhat like "50 Shades of Gray". That will tell you just how bad it is.
Ordered a self-help book on depression. "Feeling Good" by David Burns. Donno if it will cure my depression. However, it has a lot of potential to cure my insomnia. Just two pages of it and I can drift to sleep any given time of the day.
Feeling Sleepy anyone?? :D
Hey Reshma,
ReplyDeleteI rarely attend to this blog. So missed out on your comment.
Thanks for the encouragement! Makes me want to keep going :)
About books, I believe, I would be a misfit.
I am okay with writing snapshots of prose. Not good with continuity.
Also, I only write about things that I see and feel. Absolutely zero imagination.
People say they feel like they are living out the experiences themselves when they read this blog.
That probably, is the only redeeming quality.
-Roshnai