A few days back I remarked to one of my colleagues that I have what is called 'the male gaze'. I tend to notice the women the men are bound to notice!
Today, I was at a Subway outlet. While I was customizing my sub, an elderly gentleman walked in. He had the distinct look of an old womanizer - salt-n-pepper hair, a breezy T-shirt(that too on a Monday!) and a been-there-done-that attitude. I scarcely looked his way. Concentrated on my sub. Paid the bill and settled down in my favourite spot near the window. At this point in time, I heard the song 'Hum Tum' from the movie of the same name on the TV. I decided that I wanted to see the picturisation. So, I changed to the opposite seat. The old fogey took the seat in front of me with his back facing me.
There was one nice song after another on the TV. I had a fairly good time while I munched my sandwich. When I was nearly done, oldie got up and made towards the door. He sneaked a look at me - only to find me looking squarely into his eye. I can't express the momentary triumph that I felt. It was like - gotcha! beat you at your own game :)
Then walked in a guy who bargained around - was dissatisfied and left the shop. I made it a point not to look at him just to spare him the embarrasment.
Finally, walked in a guy with a thin well-maintained moustache. The guys at the shop addressed him as 'Sir'. I deduced he was a regular. This man was not completely unfortunate looking. The TV probably was playing some advertisements at this point of time. So, I turned my glance and my full concentration on him. This made the guy distinctly uncomfortable. I could literally see him squirming under his supposed composure. Completely satisfied, I dropped the trash, slung the spare sub in the carry-bag and breezed out of the shop.
And then I realized how much I have evolved.
Who is this new me? I hardly recognize her. But I know one thing for a fact - I like her!!
Enjoy being you, being the 'new you'! :) We all evolve as humans, and naturally so. And I have already fallen in love with the 'new you' [I am straight though :P] Btw, the 'new you' has added a new flavour to the Blog post as well..and am totally loving it ! :D
ReplyDeleteBe at yourself....and rock the world, babes ;-)
Cheers!! :)
I loved the 'straight' part.....ha ha ha.....
ReplyDeleteBut I know for a fact that this 'new me' is going to shock the hell out of some of my earlier readers....
hehe.
ReplyDeleteWell, some shocks are amazing. Life full of wonders is amazing indeed! :)