Pictures of Chirstmas eve revelry were splashed across t2 (a supplement of The Telgraph). The only lady I noticed was an exotic dancer by the name of Antonia. She had been flown in from Ukraine by some reputed club. This lady had an exceptionally sweet face. Her dress was the colour of flame with sparkling blue trimming. Her knee length hair was dyed a rich henna-red. She is what Leyla Hanim (of 'Birds Without Wings') must have looked like.
Her lyrical name had me thinking where else had I read about the name 'Antonia'. Antonia was the heroine of an American classic 'My Antonia' by Willa Cather. I was quite unimpressed by the storyline. The descriptions of the early American settlements were pretty graphic however. Antonia was also the name of Captain Corelli's mandolin which miraculously survived the great earthquake in Cephalonia, Greece and was resurrected by Pelagia's adopted daughter's son.
No comments:
Post a Comment