Monday, December 27, 2010

A Haunting Princess


Spent Boxing Day watching Pocahontas and Pocahontas II by Walt Disney Pictures. Was thoroughly impressed with the movies. Pocahontas was about the rumoured love story between John Smith and Pocahontas. Pocahontas II was about her journey to England and marriage with John Rolfe. Cinematically, the first movie beats the sequel. I loved Pocahontas' proud bearing, her pet racoon Meeko and the perky woodpecker. But I would have so loved her to get back with John Smith! Her alliance with John Rolfe came like an anticlimax.

I looked up Pocahontas in Wikipedia. She was indeed the daughter of a powerful native American chief and had helped the early English settlers in Virginia. However, her relationship with John Smith seems to have been mostly platonic. Also, John Rolfe was an English settler in Virginia rather than a British royal envoy. They had a son Thomas Rolfe. They made a journey to England. But, sadly Pocahontas became mortally ill on the return journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment